Read: Nehemiah 1:1-11; 2:4; Psalm 18:6; Psalm 46:1; Ephesians 3:14-20; Philippians 4:6-7; 1 Peter 5:6-7 – Do a word study on prayer. These verses only relate to this blog. Take the time and you will be so blessed.
“When we get things squared away vertically, it helps clear away the fog horizontally.” Charles Swindoll.
I remember it as if it were yesterday. I was a young child and was very troubled over a situation. I went into my bathroom, locked the door, sat down on the floor, placed my hands over my face, and prayed. I wasn’t raised in a Christian home and was never taught how to pray, but somehow I believed there was a God. So, as I spoke to God it was as if there was this protective bubble that came over me. I felt protected but the moment I finished and opened my eyes – the feeling instantly vanished. I only prayed occasionally, yet each time I did, I would experience the same sensation.
It wasn’t until my sophomore year of high school that I had school mates begin to explain to me their belief in God. They would invite me to church each Sunday and I would always decline. I even remember my orthodontist giving me a book about God’s love years before but I had never picked it up. I was intrigued by their lives. There was something different and I wanted to understand it more.
In May of my sophomore year I started getting sick. Then one day I collapsed in my bedroom in extreme pain. I was taken to the hospital but sent home with no diagnosis. In the middle of the night the pain returned so my mom took me to a different hospital. We learned that at the age of 15 I had a kidney stone. They would send me home only to have me show back up in the hospital because my pain was so severe. Finally, they decided to admit me into the hospital. On the 10th day of being in the hospital I was feeling so alone. I remember that evening that I cried out to God saying, “If you are real, and if you will take this stone away, I promise I will believe in you and go to church.” The next morning I woke up and went to the bathroom. When I stood up I looked down and there was a black stone the size of a #2 pencil eraser. I called the nurse immediately and she confirmed that I had passed my kidney stone. She then told me that she needed to call my doctor because unknown to me I was scheduled for surgery that morning – instead of having surgery I was going to get to go home.
I remember sitting in the hospital bed and saying, “OK, You’re real! You did your part – I believe.” I knew that day God was real but I still didn’t share about my prayer because I didn’t think anyone would believe me. I came home and looked for the book my orthodontist had given me and began reading it (I still have it 27 years later). The Sunday after my 16th birthday I went to a non-denominational church for the first time. The next three months I don’t think I missed a Sunday evening service. God began surrounding me with new friends at school who just happened to be Christians. They lovingly answered all my bizarre questions. Then one Sunday night I made the decision to whole-heartedly give my life over to God and ask Jesus into my heart. It was that simple prayer that changed my life. No longer was prayer this strange sensation that once I said Amen it was over. Once Jesus came into my heart He never left. I always feel I have that protective bubble over my life.
I’ve learned so much about prayer through the years and continue to learn. I’ve learned that prayer at times is about reverence, praise, and thanksgiving. Sometimes it’s a time of humbling myself and confessing my daily failures, and other times earnestly requesting something for myself or others. Many times though I’ve found that prayer is an informal conversation with a friend. There is one thing though I’m certain of - He longs to hear from each of us.
The Bible is filled with individuals who have demonstrated the gift and power of prayer. When I looked up prayer in my Topical Bible there were 14 pages of scripture references. Our church is going through a series teaching on prayer and I thought it would probably take a year to accurately go into all the details of prayer. Yet in my heart I know it’s just the simple truth of opening our hearts to Him and sharing with Him everything that is in there. That’s all He wants, and it’s the only thing that will bring peace to our hearts and minds that surpasses our understanding. (Phil.4:7)
I’ve learned that when I’m faced with life’s difficulties I have to go to God first. He is the only one who can bring peace in every circumstance. I can call friends but they don’t have the ability to do anything – unless of course they are going to pray (smile).
Hebrews 4:15 has become of one my favorite verses – “Let us therefore come boldly to the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy and find grace to help in the time of need.”
As I lit a few candles in my house this evening I immediately thought that prayer can be like a candle. My candles are always sitting there, but until I light one I don’t have the benefit of its beauty. God is always sitting there but until we engage in prayer we don’t have the benefit of feeling His presence or peace in our lives. “Some rewards in prayer come only in proportion to the effort.” Selwyn Hughes.
I love how Ephesians 3:14-20 reads in The Message:
My response is to get down on my knees before the Father, this magnificent Father who parcels out all heaven and earth. I ask him to strengthen you by his Spirit—not a brute strength but a glorious inner strength—that Christ will live in you as you open the door and invite him in. And I ask him that with both feet planted firmly on love, you'll be able to take in with all followers of Jesus the extravagant dimensions of Christ's love. Reach out and experience the breadth! Test its length! Plumb the depths! Rise to the heights! Live full lives, full in the fullness of God. God can do anything, you know—far more than you could ever imagine or guess or request in your wildest dreams! He does it not by pushing us around but by working within us, his Spirit deeply and gently within us.
AMEN!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment