Wednesday, July 15, 2009

A Blank Sheet

Read: Proverbs 24:14; Isaiah 55:6, Jeremiah 29:13; Matthew 7:7-11; James 1:5; 1 John 5:15

Let’s imagine that an 8-1/2 x 11 piece of paper represented your life – especially your future. What do you see? Is there one element that draws your focus? Are there many possibilities God has for you? If there was only one dot of black ink on the sheet of paper, would you focus only on it, or would you focus on the remaining white space? What do you do when there in only a blank sheet? Do you struggle with the blank space in front of you because it represents your future, and you’re not sure the direction you should take?

Four and half years ago I began to search out what God wanted to do with my future. The first thing I did was lay a blank sheet of paper before me (and God). God’s Word in James 1:5 tells us if we ask He will answer. I believe this truth with all of my whole heart, so I prayed and asked for direction. The first thing He gave me was specific scripture. I placed it at the top of the blank page. I’ve learned that however He is leading will be accomplished through a promise or scripture verse He has given me. I’ve experienced before that if I am seeking His will, He will repeatedly confirm this scripture verse in many ways. It could be in a devotional, a Bible study, a sermon I’ve listened to, or even an encouraging note from a friend. I’m always amazed by the tools He uses to provide His Word for direction.

I decided to write out the four paths that I felt God might be leading me to take. These paths remained fresh on the page even though one seemed to be opening up larger and larger, as if to call my family and me to walk on it first. Proverbs 3:5-6 tells us to “Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths.” Sometimes, it helps us to lay it out on a piece of paper so we can clearly see how God is leading.

We cannot see beyond the starting point so we need to be obedient one step at a time. We cannot get beyond where He is leading or we might miss His blessings on the way. I find for myself that the path that seems the scariest, or causes the most fear in me, normally is the path God wants me to take. This might not be the case for everyone else. Every step and every circumstance must align with God’s Word – especially those scriptures He is giving you.

There might be a time when God allows the sheet to remain blank for a time. See that you do not fill it, but wait! I read a selection from My Utmost for His Highest that talked about when God brings a time of waiting in your life. You can read it by clicking on the following link:

http://www.rbc.org/devotionals/my-utmost-for-his-highest/01/04/devotion.aspx?year=2010


Wait on the Lord: Be of good courage, and He shall strengthen your heart; Wait, I say on the Lord! Psalm 27:14

I encourage you in whatever you are seeking God for – write it down. If it’s a time that you must wait, what better way than to continue seeking His direction by spending time in God’s Word. Proverbs 2:6 says: “For the Lord gives wisdom, and from his mouth comes knowledge and understanding.” There will be nothing blank in what He’ll share with you. As He leads, write it down. You’ll watch as the blankness of the space on the paper becomes a beautiful picture like only our Creator can paint for your future.

Show me Your ways, O Lord; Teach me Your paths. Lead me in Your truth and teach me, for You are the God of my salvation; on You I wait all day. Psalm 25:4

No comments: