Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Reflection

Read: Psalm 46:10, Hebrews 11:6, Psalm 119:10-16, and Proverbs 2:1-9

As in water face reveals face, so a man’s heart reveals the man. Proverbs 27:19

One day during my recovery from a surgery four years ago, I had come to the end of my rope, or maybe I should say to the end of my sheet. I was so tired of just resting and lying around. On my lowest day I received a card that the Holy Spirit used to minister to me. The card basically said to rest and to remember that you truly can’t see an image on a lake unless the water is perfectly still. At that moment God spoke to my heart. God knew that water has always had a huge restoring effect in my life. Now, I’m not talking about drinking water (even though I couldn’t live without it) I’m talking about the sound of a stream, the beauty and stillness of a lake, the noise of the rain, or the ocean. God has used all of these at different times to restore and refresh me. He used creation imbedded in my mind to challenge me to grow in Him to a new level. I instantly, in thought, was standing on a dock at my favorite lake looking out at its stillness. Knowing that when I looked down I would see the image God wanted me to see. I knew at that moment God was using my recovery time for me to be still in Him. I hope what He taught me, He can also use to challenge you.

Once I dedicated my recovery time to the Lord – He did such an incredible work in me. He took me on an incredible faith journey. He used the image of the still lake as a lesson for me. I thought about when you look at a still lake there is one thing you can’t miss – it’s reflection. Anything around the lake will photo copy itself on the surface of the lake. God wants our lives to be a reflection of Him. Sometimes we must be still so that he can give us new insight. I imagine as I look down into the water instead of seeing my image I see His instead. I prayed and pondered what God wanted to do in me that would reflect more of Him. I know He has a different plan for each one of us. As you pray and ponder, your lesson will be unique for your own life lesson.

I began reading “Believing God,” by Beth Moore. I realized that God wanted to make His Word active and alive in my life. Here is a quote from the book that spoke to me – “Our unique ability to communicate through words is one of the most obvious evidences of the image we bear.” I knew if I wanted to reflect Him I needed to begin memorizing scripture so I could use it to speak to others, in writing, and in prayer. I love spending time in God’s Word, but seldom do I memorize it or actually use it in prayer – it’s a huge weakness in my life. I also learned how this weakness made a difference in my life after taking a faith test in Believing God. One of the questions was: “When fear comes on you like a tidal wave, you tend quickly to ________? My honest answer…1) panic, 2) call a friend to pray for me, 3) go to God in prayer. The correct answer for living in faith was that you “recall Scripture and turn it into prayer.” Honestly, I’d never done that! It takes me twice as long to memorize anything anymore. I think I’ve had a “Ram” corruption in my memory banks (smile). Yet, God is telling me that this is the most important factor in my future steps of faith with Him. My walk must not only be expressed in my actions but also my words. I want my words to come through my faith and my faith must be ignited by God’s Word in my mind and communication to others.

So, this week I want to encourage you to do two things. #1) Be still in God. Try and get rid of any distractions for a couple of hours and take time for just you and God. His word tells us “He is the rewarder for those who diligently seek Him” Heb. 11:6. In Proverbs 2:1-9 it tells us if we cry out for discernment and understanding we will find the knowledge of God. Be still and find out what God wants to do in your life. #2) Pray and ask God to give you a scripture (or scriptures) for you to memorize. This will only solidify God’s Word becoming active in your life.

I strongly encourage you to take this challenge now. Don’t wait until you're recovering from a surgery that has put you on your back and all you can do then is look up. Take the time now to find out how God can grow your faith.

May the reflection others see in us, be truly the reflection of Jesus being alive and active in every area of our life.

No comments: