Monday, March 16, 2009

Start a Journal

Read: Isaiah 46:9, Psalm 77:11-12, and 1 Chronicles 16:12

I love when I find a verse in scripture in which it makes me feel as if I have found a hidden treasure - a true nugget of gold. Numbers 33:2 is one of those verses to me. This verse tells us that Moses kept a journal at the command or direction of the LORD. I find this fascinating. I think if God wanted Moses to write so that Israel’s journey would be remembered, we also should keep a record of the journeys God takes each of us on.


I’ve written in journals probably for the last 20 years. I was never a “Dear Diary” kind of person. I rarely write about a day’s events. I would be too afraid of someone finding what I had written. Instead, I write about what God is doing in my life, scriptures that are meaningful, quotes from other writers, or topics I want to do research on. I have journals that are specific to journeys that God has taken me on, just at Moses did.

When I was working at the school I would keep a journal per school year. It always correlated with the theme that God was leading us in. I also have a specific journal that began with our first visit to New Zealand, then our move there, the year we lived there, and our return to the US. The other day I read it again, and it reminded me of so many things God did and taught us during that time. If I didn’t have that journal, most of it would be forgotten (my memory is terrible). I recently started one once I found out I had breast cancer. This one is more difficult to write. I know though that it helps keep my focus on God and not on the illness.

I enjoyed reading Matthew Henry’s commentary regarding Numbers 33.
When they began this tedious march, God ordered Moses to keep a journal or diary, and to insert in it all the remarkable occurrences of their way…to preserve in writing an account of the providences of God concerning them, the constant series of mercies they have experienced, especially those turns and changes which have made some days of their lives more remarkable. Our memories are deceitful and need this help, that we may remember all the ways which the Lord our God has led us.

Journaling has taught me one specific lesson – God is faithful. I’ve probably learned more in the tough and difficult times. As I look back, I see how I was guided and given strength. I see that I am also safe in this present moment. I might not understand why a certain situation happened – I might never know – yet through journaling it gives me a different perspective - a spiritual one.

Your assignment is to pick up a journal. Now, it doesn’t have to be a fancy one (even though Barnes & Noble have some nice ones). Some of my favorite journals and the ones I treasure the most are just spiral notebooks. Just get anything and keep it with you as you read God’s Word. Write down scriptures that speak to your heart at this moment in your life. You can also journal your prayers – I do this all the time. It is a window to the heart. It’s also a great way to see how many prayers have been answered in God’s timing.

I believe every life is on a journey and each journey deserves a journal. “Writing helps clarify what’s really important in your life. Thoughts detangle themselves when they pass through your fingertips.” Dawson Trotman I love this statement. I believe it is so true.

How I would love to find the journal of Moses. How cool would that be? At the LORD’s direction, Moses kept a written record of their progress. These are the stages of their march, identified by the different places where they stopped along the way. Numbers 33:2

I guarantee you, as you sit at His feet and read His Word, you’ll be amazed at all He will teach you. You’ll want to remember it, so make sure to write it down.

Psalm 143:5 – I remember the days of old. I ponder all your great works and think about what You have done.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Traci,
Praise God for the insights He has given you as you read and meditate on His word. I was thinking awhile ago about a comment you had said in conversation, about your move to New Zeland, how that move there had really brought your family closer together. I was tninking about how God knows everything we are going to go through and he knew your family would need that bonding time to get through this time now. I loved your insight on the movie, how very true and i am going to look up the numbers verse. I am very excited and thank you for ministering to all of us sisters.
Keep writing in the Light,
Kyna

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Traci! I am really excited and inspired to read your blogs and be better at reading God's Word every day. Thanks for your wisdom and insight.
-Sarah Goldstein